A service profile is a custom Kubernetes resource (CRD) that can provide Linkerd additional information about a service. In particular, it allows you to define a list of routes for the service. Each route uses a regular expression to define which paths should match that route. Defining a service profile enables Linkerd to report per-route metrics and also allows you to enable per-route features such as retries and timeouts.
To get started with service profiles you can:
- Look into setting up service profiles for your own services.
- Understand what is required to see per-route metrics.
- Configure retries on your own services.
- Configure timeouts on your own services.
- Glance at the reference documentation.